Contrary identifies the world’s top talent, and invests in companies they start or join.
Backed by iconic founders from Tesla, Reddit, Facebook, and many more, we identify and invest in the world’s top talent – first – and then relentlessly support them from seed to scale.
At the core of our investment strategy are the hundreds of talented future founders with whom we nurture relationships. With programs such as our Talent Fellowship and platforms such as Startup Search, we aggregate the most ambitious and entrepreneurial builders worldwide, and support them in finding jobs as well as raising capital when it comes time to “take the leap” and start a company.
Whether it is helping people in the Contrary network find cool startups they should join, connecting them with potential cofounders, negotiating job offers, or figuring out what role will best set them up for success, we want to be their first call and one-stop-shop.
That’s why we’re looking for a Talent team member to support our community on their entrepreneurial journeys!
Contrary is ultimately in the business of identifying stellar, entrepreneurial people and supporting them throughout their career journeys.
As a core member of the Talent team, you will:
- Partner with our portfolio companies to fill their highest-priority roles, primarily early- and mid-career engineering and product talent as well as the occasional senior search
- Get to know our portco founders and talent teams, with a focus on understanding their cultures, the types of candidates they gravitate toward, and who will be successful on their teams
- Be a champion advocating for our portfolio companies to help them hire the best talent
- Engage with the strongest job-seekers who come through the Startup Search platform as one component of your candidate sourcing
- Build lasting relationships with members of the Contrary network by helping them find high-growth startup jobs, negotiate their offers, and develop their careers
- Meet with fellows from our community 1:1 to help them scope their career and entrepreneurial goals
- Help community members discover new startups that fit their search parameters and facilitate introductions for them across the Contrary network to set them up for success
- For those considering the founder journey, help them navigate to the best resources within the Contrary network to accelerate their thinking
- Partner with our Product and Engineering team to build internal tooling to facilitate portco / talent matchmaking
We think a variety of candidates could be successful in this role, but we've listed a handful of qualities that we think are important:
- You have knowledge of startup recruiting workflows and best practices, especially those for early-career individuals. Your perspective is likely informed by your time as a recruiter or in a related talent role.
- You have experience partnering with technical candidates such as engineers and product managers.
- You have worked at a high-growth startup, VC firm, or similar tech-driven environment, and have knowledge of the US startup ecosystem broadly, especially Seed-stage companies and beyond.
- You're a builder at heart. We have much left to do at Contrary, and playing a hand in creating new things is inspiring to you.
- You can identify and associate with people who are of excellent character, have diverse backgrounds, and are exceedingly intelligent.